REAL FOOD. REAL PLACES. REAL PEOPLE.
As recommended by 99% of users on TripAdvisor
Discover the artisanal heritage and food of the Oltrarno quarter
Old-world tradition meets contemporary creativity in the bohemian Oltrarno – a neighbourhood with a rich artisanal heritage. Home to artists, foodies and free spirits, the hip ‘hood is known for its “botteghe” – workshops and studios where apprentices learn techniques passed down through generations from a master craftsperson or cook.
Venture off the beaten path on our 3-hour walking food tour where our friendly, entertaining tour guides will introduce you to local carpenters, tailors, printmakers and leathersmiths, as well as our favourite eateries. Like the leather handbags, lithographic prints and bespoke furniture made here, the neighbourhood’s cuisine is also handmade using traditional methods. You’ll feast on Florence’s famous Lampredotto sandwich, sample delicious Tuscan meats and cheeses, and watch how Cantucci – also known as biscotti – are made before getting to try some. The Oltrarno is bound to charm anyone keen to explore its vibrant culture, fascinating botteghe, Renaissance architecture and fabulous food.
TOUR HIGHLIGHTS INCLUDE
- Start the day in true Italian style with a coffee and flaky pastry from a traditional caffé
- Learn about the history of the “bottega” and how it has shaped Florence’s most creative neighborhood
- Watch how Cantucci – also known as biscotti – are made at a family-run bakery then try a few from the fresh batch
- Learn about the ancient process of lithography at one of the oldest printing workshops in Florence
- Visit a traditional leather workshop where custom-made leather bags and accessories are crafted using tools from a bygone age
- Sample some typical Tuscan antipasti at a local alimentari (grocery store)
- Find out why the famous Lampredotto sandwich is Florence’s favorite street food snack
- Visit the studios of talented artisans including carpenters, framers, tailors and more, nestled in the picturesque streets of the Oltrarno quarter
Tour bookings are fully refundable up to 48 hours before your tour date, and we can also swap you into a different tour if there’s availability. A change of plans is no problem.
Good to Know
Entertaining and personable English speaking guide
Food Lovers’ Guide: full of insider’s tips and details
What to Bring
Bring a bottle of water or you can purchase one at the meeting point
We recommend you wear comfortable walking shoes
If rain is forecast, bring an umbrella as we will be outside for most of the tour
Get to the tour
Transportation to and from the food tour is not included, and we are unable to arrange this for you
Detailed information for how to arrive to the meeting point will be provided at time of booking
At the end of the food tour, our guides are always more than happy to call a taxi for you or point you in the right direction
Eating Italy’s Foodie Guide To Florence
Our Foodie Guide to Florence offers you insider’s tips on how to make the most of your visit. We’ve gathered together our favorite attractions, restaurants, bars and places to stay in Florence, as well as our very own shortlist of not-to-be-missed food and drinks!